Mappamundi plays folk, trad, acoustic and swing music for weddings
From duo to quintet, Mappamundi plays at weddings small and large, formal or casual, for prelude, service, and/or reception. Our instrumentation includes strings (violin, viola, cello, bass, viols); frets (guitar, bouzouki, domro, mandolin, cittern); winds and brass (trombone, saxophone, clarinet, pennywhistle, wooden flute, shakuhachi flute); exotica (concertina, bagpipes, rebec, recorder, accordion, zither, bandura (clarsach-like wire strung lap harp), etc.). We play folk music, early music, traditional music from many lands and cultures, American popular music, and more.
Current information on our playing for North Carolina weddings (South Carolina and Virginia, too) will be found on our companion site, Wedding Music in North Carolina.
Our prices are reasonable and our arrangements (business-related AND musical!) are flexible. We do requests. We're experienced, responsible, and user-friendly. Mappamundi wedding sampler (swing, folk, etc)
"Mappamundi helped make our wedding a wonderful experience for everyone. In fact, I can't imagine a better band for any special occasion. Their energy, warmth and enthusiasm are infectious, and they are consummate professionals. We are so glad that we chose Mappamundi for our wedding instead of some run-of-the-mill cover band or DJ! And our guests were glad, too -- we're still receiving compliments about the band from friends and family."
"We loved the music you played at our wedding and reception! You were so easy to work with and the music set just the tone we wanted for both the ceremony and afterwards. Also, you were a big help suggesting tunes and helping us plan the music."
"I just wanted to let you know how pleased we were with the music you performed at our wedding. Your ad-hoc selections for the prelude were perfect, and I thought the processional worked dramatically. A number of guests commented about your music and even asked the names of your cds. We'll heartily recommend you to all of our yet-to-be-married friends."
"Mappamundi performed the ceremony and cocktail music at our wedding at Windy Oaks Inn at Chapel Hill. Being Greek (bride) and Jewish (groom), we wanted to capture the rich traditions of each culture through music. Mappamundi played both genres with soul, eloquence, and scholarly enthusiasm. We were also very impressed by their their willingness to learn new traditional Greek and Jewish music to make our experience even more meaningful for us and our families. Thanks again for putting so much work into our wedding!"
"We just wanted to thank you for your super performance at our wedding on October 12th. We received many compliments on the music. The variety and the sound level were just perfect, and we really appreciate the fact that you took our list so seriously! The "Let's Do It" song was also just a perfect tempo."
"You did a wonderful job at our wedding. The music was just what we wanted. I really enjoyed Ken playing bagpipes while walking around. Thank you for all your help." If you want to see what kind of music we can play at your wedding, check out our playlists (above). Here are some possibilities:
- Acoustic mood music for prelude and reception often includes
- Traditional music: from the British Isles, the United States, Eastern and Western Europe, Jewish traditions and points beyond.
- Early Music: Elizabethan, Renaissance and Medieval love songs and instrumentals, on period instruments when circumstances permit
- Contemporary folk music: and we take requests...
- Love songs of the 20s, 30s, and 40s.
- Music for dancing includes
- Swing Music: We can be your downsized big band (or can hire additional musicians for large events) for swing and social dancing.
- Contradances (jigs, reels, squares, couple dances)
- International dances
- English and Scottish country dancing"At my wedding, Mappamundi couldn't have been better. The music blended perfectly with the lush, outdoor setting, creating just the sort of peaceful pastoral mood we were after. We felt very fortunate to have you there."
If you're interested in hiring us for an event Send us email
or call 919-606-2122, or write:
5301 Cedronella Drive
Chapel Hill NC 27514